Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Taylor Awards

Stupid title, I know. Basically The Taylor Awards are something I came up with a couple years ago to express my personal opinion of what the best movie that came out that year was. I decided to choose one for every year that I've been alive. This is a little difficult for the earlier years seeing as how I haven't seen as many really good ones from those years, so for now I only have them for years I feel I've seen enough from and I'll add more to the list gradually as I see more. So this is my list so far.

1990 -
1991 -
1992 -
1993 -
1994 - The Shawshank Redemption
1995 -
1996 - (tie) Fargo; The English Patient
1997 - Titanic
1998 -
1999 - American Beauty
2000 -
2001 - Amelie
2002 - Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2003 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
2004 - (tie) Hotel Rwanda; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2005 - Brokeback Mountain
2006 - Little Children
2007 - Into the Wild
2008 - TBA

There's still a few more I need to see this year before I feel I can make an educated decision, but so far the main contenders are WALL-E, The Visitor, Frost/Nixon, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Burn After Reading and possibly The Reader (I wasn't sure how I fealt about The Reader when I first saw it, but the more I think about it, the more I like it...I'm going to have to see it again before I make my decision)

Of the ones I've seen, I'm pretty sure it's going to be WALL-E (seriously, I had know idea how brilliant that movie was going to be. It's definately my favorite Pixar...closely followed by Finding Nemo). I still need to see In Bruges; Synechdoche, New York; Frozen River; Happy-Go-Lucky; Gran Torino; Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day; Tell No One; and Rachel Getting Married (and the last 10 minutes of The Visitor) before I make my decision. Of those, the only one that I think really has a chance of taking first is Synechdoche, New York...but I want to be sure, cause I never thought WALL-E would get even close to my favorite...although I'm pretty sure Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day won't even make the top ten...it's just that it was one of the few movies that came out in the first few month of 2008 that I was actually interested in seeing (why I didn't see it then is beyond me)

No comments:

Post a Comment